Created At: Saturday 2020-07-04 21:18:57
Updated At: Thursday 2020-07-23 10:51:41
Time To Read: 5 Minutes
If you are a big fan of eggplant, you know that any combination with it will create a delightful taste. Nutritionally, eggplant is full of benefits; it's a great source of vitamins & minerals, helps with digestion, improves heart and bone, health, prevents cancer, increases brain function, etc. This amazing dish is cooked with little difference in both Qazvin and Shiraz Province. Bademjan polo belongs to Yerak Village in Alamut District, Qazvin Province. Shirazi Salad is an amazing matching side dish with this food.
Bademjan Polo ingredients
- Rice 1 kg
- 1 kg piled and ringed eggplants
- 1 cup fried onion
- 500 gr ground meat (beef or lamb)
- 5 ringed or cubed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup frying oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Salt- pepper to taste
- Wash the rice two-three times until become clear. Mix 1 tbsp salt to water and add washed rice to salted water. Let it soak for 1 hour before cooking.
- Peel the eggplants, add salt to them, and put them in the sun to remove its bitterness. Wash them after 1 hour and slice them. Fry both sides of the eggplants with frying oil until they are soft. Set aside.
- In another pan, add chopped onion and garlic and sauté them until they're golden. Add all spices and salt to sautéed onion and garlic.
- Continue frying for 1 minute until the aroma of spices develops. Then, add ground meat. Allow to fry until meat turns into brown.
- Then, add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and fried eggplants to the rest of the ingredients in the pan. Mix all together and let it cook for about 5 minutes and set aside.
- Bring water to the pot and wait for it to boil, then drain the salted water of rice and add it to the boiled water in the pot. Let it cook over medium heat, don't let it become soft. It's better to add 2 tbsp of yogurt to make your rice whiter. After that, pour the pot of rice of cold water and drain it well.
- Pour 3 tbsp vegetable oil in the pot. Add 2 ladles of rice to the pot, top it with a good layer of eggplant mixture, then top it another layer of rice and other layers of eggplant. Repeat the process until all ingredients are used. Cover the pot with a lid and let to cook over medium to low heat (25-30 minutes). Serve this aromatic and delicious rice with Shirazi Salad or pickles.
Iranwatching love to be a part of your experience and read about your additional tips, so please share them with us.